Happy Mother’s Day from Beach! To celebrate, Head Chef Alanna Sapwell has shared her mum’s special scone recipe.
“My mum Kerri took out gold at both the Gympie and Noosa shows one year for her famous scones. She always insists the secret is mixing the ingredients with a knife, but you still have to knead it well. When I asked her why, she just said who knows, it’s “the bishop’s cat” – it’s the way her mum and nanna did it, and no one really knows why! These are some very special scones.”
Alanna’s mum Kerri and her award-wining scones, on a boat she built from scratch!
2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup milk
1. Sift flour into mixing bowl. Rub butter into flour mixture with fingertips. Add milk and mix with a KNIFE. Mixture should be quite sticky.
2. Turn mixture onto floured board and knead well. Knead more flour into mixture until perfect consistency.
3. Roll out to about 3cm thick. Cut into scone shapes using a glass.
4. Place onto floured oven try and then pat a little milk onto the top of each scone with your fingers.
5. Bake for 12 minutes at 220 degrees C.
6. Serve with jam and cream.